This assignment is designed to help you apply your knowledge of argumentation concepts (claim, reasons, appeals, and more) to an existing written argument and practice identifying elements of argument in a written argumentative text.
Analyze written arguments for appeals and structure
To complete this assignment, first review the information on argument structure and appeals on pages 14-21 and watch the attached Power Point presentation Argument Structure and Types.pptx Argument Structure and Types.pptx – Alternative Formats
(Source: Montgomery College English Faculty) to review the key concepts.
Next, re-read the Los Angeles Times editorial “It’s Time to Phase Out Single-Use Plastic”
and answer the following questions: article link https://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-plastic-plan-20180220-story.html
1. What is the claim of the presented argument? Restate it in your own words.
2. What reasons are given to support and explain the claim? Formulate reasons as statements that logically support or explain the claim.
3. What kind of information is used as evidence to back up the reasons?
4. What arguments against the editorial’s position are identified? How are they refuted?
5. Point out an example of logos used in the article. Where does the argument rely on logical reasoning/ rational thinking?
6. Point out an example of pathos used in the article. Where does the editorial appeal to the readers’ emotions? What emotions does it appeal to?
7. Do you consider the source (Los Angeles Times) credible (strong ethos) or no