You will be assigned one scenario from the four options listed below to help you create your project planning documents. Note that only basic information is provided in your scenario. You will need to use critical thinking skills to determine reasonable financial considerations, actions to complete your project, and appropriate outcomes. Be creative and make your own assumptions where information is not provided; make sure your assumptions are reasonable and functional.
I picked scenario 1:
PICC Line Placement
The PICC line procedure is a benefit to patients who need long-term antibiotics or other medications but have poor venous access or are being discharged from the hospital. The PICC line procedure is less expensive than a surgical alternative. Currently, there is one radiologist who performs these procedures, and the patient must wait until that one radiologist is available to have the procedure done. The proper training to perform this procedure will help avoid delays. The patient will benefit from being able to recover at home and use a less expensive home health agency for continued treatment. The hospital could experience lower costs while receiving improved reimbursement from insurance companies.
The estimated expense to meet the objectives for improving the PICC line placement should be minimal. The radiologist already performs this procedure and is willing to train the hospitalists to perform it as well. The cost would only be the time for training by the radiologist.
1. Conflicting physician schedules
2. Unstable patient being brought for a procedure
3. The risk for infections like any catheter procedure
4. Catheter clotting
1. The radiologist is willing to share his or her experience.
2. Hospitalists are willing to be trained in this procedure.
3. Hospitalists will utilize their knowledge of the patient, their condition, and exercise good judgment in performing the PICC line procedure.