Week 6 Assignment: What Is the Role of Government, Politics, and the Economy in the Healthcare System?
Go to this website: http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/
Use the following data in the subsidy calculator to research the cost of a policy for a family with these characteristics. Submit a response that answers the listed questions.
New York zip code 10001
2 Adults, ages 60 and 62
Total annual income of $25,000
What percentage of the Federal Poverty Level is this couple’s income? Give your answer in percentages and explain what the percentage means.
What percent of your total income do you need to pay for health care?
How much would you have to pay per month for health care if you did not receive a subsidy?
- What would your subsidy be in dollar amounts and how much would you have to pay per month after the subsidy?
- Now change the state to Alaska and keep everything else the same. What changes? Why do you think this happens?
- What happens if the couple’s income goes up $1,000? Or $10,000?
- What is the connection between government, economy, and politics? Examine your personal data and then answer the following question: Do you think the costs of insurance in this program are manageable?
- Finally, describe the website and its overall purpose. How did you feel about navigating the website to obtain the needed information?